Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Freshly Washed Jeans - Slice of Life Challenge

Today, as I was getting ready for school, I was hoping there were none of those hidden cameras getting footage for What Not to Wear on TLC, because I definitely would have qualified as an individual needing help from Stacey and Clinton!

Today was a Friday, so I knew I could dress down a bit and even wear jeans.  This is normally the easiest day to dress for me because of how comfortable I feel in a comfy sweater and my jeans.  But then when I went to my closet, disaster struck!  As I was looking at my jeans, I realized they were all freshly washed.  If you are like me, a closet entirely full of freshly washed jeans is not a good thing.  Where were the ones that were slightly broken in?  Broken in so I wouldn't have to lay down on the bed to get the newly washed jeans zipped up.

I looked at that pile of freshly washed jeans, and I knew I couldn't do it -- I just couldn't put those jeans on today.  So there I was, half-dressed, with a nice sweater on already.  I had a decision to make.  Did I start all over, or did I go with the sweater I already had on and just put on a pair of regular nice pants?

Oh no!  That would be the smart thing to do, but I didn't take that path.  Right beside my pile of jeans was a pile of workout pants that caught my eye, including my favorite yoga pants.  My favorite yoga pants because they are so incredibly comfortable, something all of those freshly washed jeans would not be.

Guess which path I chose?  I must say, I was quite the lovely vision in my striped blouse under a nice sweater, followed by yoga pants, and ending at the feet with rather old tennis shoes.  I thought about taking a picture to accompany my slice, but it was just too bad.  However, I was comfortable, and my appearance made me chuckle all day long. 


As always, thanks to Stacey and Ruth at Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge!

17 comments:

  1. Comfort and Friday just seem to go hand in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I have really loved your posts this week! Thank you so much. You make me smile with this one... The beauty is you smiled all day just thinking about your outfit - how positive you are! Knowing you, you looked perfectly put together as always!

    Thanks again for your stories this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!!! I love you and your style! And I so know the plight of the freshly washed Jeans. I found a pair that fit right even after washing and they are my favorites.
    Good thing, too; the dog ate my yoga pants this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you made me laugh out loud! So my question for you is, when WILL you wear those freshly laundered jeans? Laying down on the bed and zippering your jeans reminded me of my teenage years, when it was the fashion to wear them that tight. Oh the pain we endure for fashion! Thanks for your positive spin and thank goodness for dress down Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me laugh! I had to go with cords yesterday because my comfortable jeans were dirty, and I couldn't stand my tight jeans after the 16 hour day the day before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found a comfy alternative! Those freshly washed jeans make us gymnasts, trying to get them on!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean. Unfortunately my closet contains a lot of the freshly washed jeans and two pairs of broken in jeans. The dilemma? The freshly washed are too tights and both pairs of the broken in ones are too loose after wearing for a day, they are better when freshly washed. ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya. I wear my jeans until they walk themselves to the hamper - I like my jeans broken in. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl! Life is too short to spend in too tight pants! I vote for comfort. I love our dress down Fridays. I can't wait to buy our new school sweatshirt so that I never have to think about what to wear with my jeans on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading a slice that has me nodding and laughing at the same time. I am in awe of people who can write about ordinary life and capture it so perfectly. You had me laughing out loud! I could just picture you with the yoga pants & tennis shoes and your giant smile. It was perfect! I so hear you...I'm pathetic, I could never do the lay down on the bed and zipper thing, so I wear my jeans too big! Yup, that is me, saggy butt!
    Great slice!
    Happy Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, you had me giggling with this one. It's SO true! And laying on the bed to z .. zi ... zip them up! Yep. Thanks for your slice today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the laugh. I loved reading your piece tonight because you tracked your thinking so well. And, of course, because it is a dilemma I've had before. Darn those jeans! b

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, your post had me laughing out loud. I love the image you created...probably because I could see myself doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If others knew what was really thought about in the mornings while dressing they would find it hard to believe. This is hilarious Karen. The "Broken in so I wouldn't have to lay down on the bed to get the newly washed jeans zipped up." told it all. And then the big choice of a substitute. I don't have the comfy yoga pants, but do have some other workout pants & love wearing them. This is certainly an important part of our day, the 'dressing period'. Thanks for saying it all for us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your honesty! You have such a way of taking ordinary experiences and infusing your personality into your words. I am lucky to teach in this district with you.

    Today, I will put on freshly washed jeans (all the yoga pants are dirty), lay on the bed, and pray that I can button them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen,
    Oh if your closet has yoga pants in it needs much less help than mine. Every morning I enter my closet I am disappointed to find the same boring items waiting for me. I loved the way you shared your morning dilemma. I think we all can relate. Thanks for making me smile.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. This slice just cracked me up. I don't own yoga pants. I want the freshly washed jeans and I just cracked up thinking of your outfit that day that I'm sure looked great. It was more the story behind it and your phrasing that makes this funny not how you looked.

    ReplyDelete