Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

All My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready to Go - Slice of Life Challenge

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go

I'm borrowing the first two lines of John Denver's song, "Leaving on a Jet Plane" as my husband and I get ready to leave for Hilton Head today.  There is so much anticipation and planning that I love about heading to a new destination.

First, I have to figure out what my activities will be for the duration of our visit and match that to the weather forecast.  That way, I know what type of clothes I need to pack.  Based on the current extended forecast, I will need golf clothes, walking/biking clothes, swimsuits, and a few outfits for the two or three times we go out to dinner.  Even though it will be beautiful where I live this next week, I am so excited about being outdoors from morning until evening.

Then, the most important things I pack are books and entertainment.  I read on Katie's blog yesterday how she felt so "plugged in", even while traveling.  I will be the same.  I am taking two Kindles, my original because it is perfect for reading outside and my Kindle Fire because I love the way the it feels and reads while indoors. I have many books already loaded on my kindle, and those are books I think my husband might want to read as wellso we can share books. I also have my iPod for walking and biking, and finally, my iPad for staying in touch with the world.

My husband loaded the car while I was at work this morning, but he complained about how heavy my suitcase was - I couldn't help wondering how we have been married for 27 years, and he still doesn't realize my suitcase would be full of books. :)

So we're on the road now, headed for great beaches to walk on, wonderful seafood to eat, many outdoor past times to pursue, and an opportunity to unwind, relax, and recharge my batteries.

My bags are packed, and I am officially on my way!

**composing this in the southern hills of Ohio - here's hoping it looks right on the blog. **

8 comments:

  1. Looks great, Karen! Hilton Head is one of my favorite places. There is an AMAZING shack of a restaurant on a tiny island off of Hilton Head - Daufuskie Island. The restaurant is called Marshside Mama's. Don't know if you are looking for adventure, but it is truly one of my favorite places in the world. In fact, I think this might be my slice for tomorrow. Thanks and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, have some shrimp from the Piggly Wiggly for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just brought my kindle fire. Haven't read on it outside yet. It sounds like you were smarter bringing both. Enjoy Hilton Head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip south! I am anxious to also get away and the hardest decision will be which books to take to read! Impressive that you posted this somewhere on the road-that brings to mind an old Willy Nelson song, "On the road again...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, safe, relaxing travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beach is heaven on earth to me. Have a wonderful trip! Have you read Pat Conroy's The Water is Wide? It's a memoir about his year teaching children on Daufuskie Island. I read it most every year before school starts. I love that song you started with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful trip, Karen. What a wonderful thing to get ready for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks more than right on the blog! Enjoy your time of rest with your outfits and books!

    ReplyDelete