Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Looking for Newbery - Day 17


I am a huge fan of Barbara O'Connor!!! I loved How to Steal a Dog, and was very excited to get Greetings From Nowhere when it came out. I was so pleased to see that it got a little love from someone's Mock Newbery list. The characters are well developed, the book is told from multiple points of view, and the language is beautiful. I'm also a fan of how Barbara O'Connor uses sentences that are really phrases -- it was very effective.

Finally, I loved Greetings from Nowhere because it brought back so many childhood memories of spending a week each summer at my cousin's house, which was really a motel just like the one in this story. For more details, check out my review.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Karen, for that lovely post!

    I'm counting down the days until the literacy conference. Woohoo!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...maybe that post was from Bill! ?? My Google Reader says Bill, but the blog says Karen. So - anyway - thank you, Bill - thank you to BOTH OF YOU!

    Hahahaha

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! I have got to find who has my copy and read it again! It has excellent Newbery potential!

    ReplyDelete