Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Looking for Newbery Last Summer

OK, so my partner Karen has this great idea, and ropes me into contributing too, and now I can hardly wait to get started. As I was thinking of which books I wanted to review, I perused the list at Fuse #8 and realized I have read and reviewed quite a few of the top titles. Some I have read but not reviewed, and others I started to read but didn't finish either because I didn't feel they were appropriate for our elementary library, or I just didn't like them. I'm going to brag a little here, and say that last summer I posted an early Newbery list and the three titles I listed, Waiting for Normal, Greetings From Nowhere and Shooting the Moon all made the BIG list. We Are the Ship is also on the list, I just wasn't sure where to put it. So I feel like I really have a head start on the Newbery selection this year.

I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that some of my favorites didn't make the list for example, Itch: a novel, and others like Jessie's Mountain didn't get as much attention as I think they deserve. Oh well, that's the nature of the game and who knows, maybe one of them will pull an upset in the end.

In any event, I like Karen's idea and plan to have some fun with this. I know I speak for Karen when I say we hope you enjoy it too, and PLEASE, leave a comment to tell us what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment