Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Newbery/Caldecott Short Lists

Since looking for the Newbery before it was announced played such a huge role in me moving to the library and starting this blog, I thought I'd join the growing number of bloggers posting short lists for Newbery and Caldecott worthy books. We are half way to the announcement of the winners, so the timing seems right. My Newbery list is considerably shorter than my Caldecott which means I need to pick up my reading pace this summer!

First a short list of books that should win something, I'm just not sure which award fits best.

We Are the Ship by Kadir Nelson: Such a beautiful book, well written, incredible artwork. It could go either way for the awards and would be deserving of either.

My very short-short list of Newbery contenders.

Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor: Probably my favorite so far for 2008. I reviewed it earlier in the year.
Greetings From Nowhere by Barbara O'Connor: Some of the best character development for kids that I've read. Read Karen's review here at Literate Lives.
Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell: Great Viet Nam era military family drama that is accessible to kids.

That's it, I told you it was short. My Caldecott list is longer, but it's easier to get through the picture books.

Scoot by Cathryn Falwell: Similar to Deep in the Swamp or Over in the Jungle, outstanding illustrations and fun text make this a book that can be read over and over.
Snoring Beauty by Bruce Hale: A very funny take off of Sleeping Beauty with even funnier pictures, look at that dragon's lips! I reviewed this book earlier.
Friday My Radio Flyer Flew by Zachary Pullen: Short story highlighted by two page paintings on every turn. The detailed on the boy's face make the story.
Necks Out for Adventure by Timothy Basil Ering: A hit from THE PIT this year. Read my review here.
The Sea Serpent and Me by Dashka Slater: My second grade friend Vince found this for me. Very fun read in THE PIT and the kids loved the pictures.
Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski: Fun story of being an individual. "Isn't it great!" Yes, it is. More reviews here, here, and here.

That's it for now. I need to go read and catch up on my Newbery search!

No comments:

Post a Comment