Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Four Slices for Price of One - SOLC #12

Since I confessed yesterday to being a list maker in crunch times, I thought a list for this post just seemed appropriate.

My four slices of the day:

1) Skype with Kate Messner.  Frantically try to remember my Skype name so we could connect.  Be proud of how articulate students were when she asked them for questions.  Gasp in awe as she shared her view, and showed us where Vermont was across the lake.  Giggle when kids asked how she came up with the name for Senator Snickerbottom.  Groan when it was time for her to leave; I could listen to her forever.  Smile as students asked me what other authors I could arrange to Skype with; they love connecting with authors.

2) Get hair cut and colored.  Collapse into chair at the end of the day.  Take a catnap as the foils were being put in.  Begin to read the latest (and last) Maeve Binchy book while waiting for color to process.   Purr like a kitten as my head was massaged during the shampoo.  Appreciate the color that comes to light when hair is being blown dry.  Leave with a hair style I love, but will never be able to replicate.

3) Receive a text from one of my daughters "just because".  Know that we will pick her and her sister up in less than two weeks at Savannah airport and we will have our first family vacation in over six years.  Delight in the fact that grown daughters reach out across the miles to say, "Hello, I'm thinking of you."

 4) Prepare conference forms for the next two days.  Reflect on growth students have made this year.  Concentrate on the work we still have left to do.  Celebrate their learning.  Know that conversations with parents help build that home/school connection.  Embrace that collaboration.

Thanks to Ruth and Stacey for hosting us again for the Slice of Life Challenge.  Head on over there to find out what other "slicers" have to say each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Love your four slices, Karen. And YAY for the family vacation - and to one of my favorite areas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists are very fine ways to capture mini-memoirs. Yours is a well-curated list.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete