Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2009

New Books for the Library

I just finished a stack of books from the library and I had some stuff waiting for pick up at my favorite book store, Cover to Cover so I made the trip over and thought I'd let you know some of what I brought home.

Boo Hoo Bird by Jeremy Tankard: Everyone loved Grumpy Bird in THE PIT so I was excited to see that there is a sequel. In this one, Bird gets bonked on the head with a ball and all of the animals try to help him. I think it's just as good as the first adventure with the animals and can't wait to share it in THE PIT. I couldn't help thinking about the You Tube of "That really hurt Charlie!" so bird may adopt an English accent for this one!


The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: I succumbed to the pressure and bought the Newbery winner. Even though I'm not a big fan, I know a lot of kids will like the weirdness of it all. After talking to a number of librarians I realize it's not any darker than some of the Harry Potter series which I love.



Roscoe Riley Rules #5 Don't Tap Dance on Your Teacher by Katherine Appleton: I can't keep books 1 - 4 on the shelves and they all have waiting lists so imagine my surprise when one of my second graders informed me that there was a book 5!? WHO KNEW!? I guess I should have but it's pretty fun when one of the kids beats me to the punch on a new book.



The Sherlock Files #2 The Beast of Blackslope by Tracy Barrett: I loved the first mystery solved by Xena and Xander Holmes (my review) and a group of kids connected with it as well, so I was excited to see book 2 out. Tracy Barrett really developed the mystery in the first book and kids could figure it out if they paid attention to the clues.

A Whiff of Pine , a Hint of Skunk: A Forest of Poems by Deborah Ruddell Illustrated by Joan Rankin: A collection of fun poems about animals and plants in the forest. The illustrations are awesome with lots of expression on the animals' faces. The poetry flows nicely and will be fun for kids to read aloud. My favorite is Beaver Biography.



With only a week of circulation left, many of these books will be waiting for kids to check them out next year, but I'll introduce them and hope they pick them up at the "big" library this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Roscoe Riley has a 5th book????what???How did I miss this?? in our ESL world, we are crazy over Roscoe. Thanks for the info! Putting on my reserve right now! Nice shopping list by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With only a week of circulation left..."

    AHHHhhhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just bought The Graveyard Book too. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

    ReplyDelete