Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

#IMWAYR - March 7



A huge thanks to Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee at Unleashing Readers for hosting us for the kidlit version of #IMWAYR!!

I went to the library this weekend, and on the new picture book shelf, found a book with a great title, The Almost Terrible Playdate by Richard Torrey. I decided to put it in my already bulging bookbag, but I was so glad I did!

The Almost Terrible Playdate is a great book for introducing point of view with students. The main characters are a young girl and a young boy who each ask the other, “What do you want to play?” That question leads to some great suggestions from both of them.

Each time a suggestion is made, there is a thought bubble above both heads illustrating what that suggestion looks like in each character’s point of view. I envision some great conversation coming from the noticing and inferring children will do about these thought bubbles. Same words can lead to totally different interpretations, depending on the person.

Great dialogue to help students rehearse their thinking about point of view, and a wonderful scaffold to help actually visualize the point of view.


Happy reading!!


3 comments:

  1. This looks like a very fun story, I like the idea of using it to talk about perspective and point of view with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great way to discuss POV, as you said, Karen. I love the thought bubble idea. Perhaps students could do that when they're writing stories, for practice or really used in the story. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a book. It would almost be fun to have the class draw their ideas and see if they match the thought bubbles. I am excited to get my hands on this book. It's on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete