Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thinking about Read Alouds - Year 2

Let me clarify the "year 2" part of this title. I've actually been thinking about read alouds and trying to make the best possible choices for my students for the last 26 years. :) It's just that this is the second year I've put my thinking into the written word.

I wrote my thoughts about read alouds this year for the Choice Literacy website. Brenda Power, the editor of the Choice Literacy weekly newsletter, The Big Fresh, has generously given me the ability to link readers of our blog to my article at Choice Literacy. This way, anyone who might be interested, is welcome to check out my thinking about books to read aloud with my 5th graders this coming year.

I have already realized I'll need to write a second article with some revisions mid-year. I unintentionally left out two of my very favorite authors and their newest books -- Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis by Barbara O'Connor and James Preller's newest, Bystander. I'm sure that there will be more I want to add as the year progresses, as well.

After you read the article, I'd love to have you stop back here and share your thoughts. Thanks, and here's wishing many magical moments of read aloud for all teachers and their students!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for directing me to your article. I will be a new literacy coach this year. I plan to copy this article for my 5th grade teachers and help to get the books in their hands. What a great place to start! Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the read-aloud recs. My son starts fifth grade soon.

    ReplyDelete