Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Preview From THE PIT Read Alouds 2


I'm still looking through my options for read alouds, and as I said in my first preview post, I'm adding to my list of possibles here.

The Hat That Wore Clara B. by Melanie Turner-Denstaedt, Illustrated by Frank Morrison: It's a tradition on Mother's Sunday in Clara B.'s church for the ladies to wear elegant, beautiful hats to church. Her grandmother's hat is possibly the most beautiful of all and Clara B. wants nothing more than to wear it. She hatches a plan to get that chance even though grandmother doesn't want her to and of course, tragedy strikes, causing serious damage to the hat. Incredible illustrations along with the multicultural themes make this a real possibility in THE PIT this year.



A Soup Opera by Jim Gill, Illustrated by David Moose: A simple funny "opera" about not having a spoon to eat your soup. This one promises to very fun and VERY NOISY in THE PIT. I'm already visualizing kids singing "opera" and acting it out. It also comes with a CD with the musical version. My son and I already sang A Soup Opera at our table when I read this book for the first time. This one, if I can get my hands on a copy, will definitely be performed in THE PIT!


The King's Taster by Kenneth Oppel, Illustrated by Lou Fancher & Steve Johnson: A dog serves as the taster for a boy king who refuses any of the good food that the cook is preparing. After trying everything, it is discovered that the boy king is sneaking candy at night and isn't hungry. Excellent story and of course, with illustrations by Fancher and Johnson, it immediately caught my eye. I love the illustrations created by this team and have shared at least one of their books every year.



Thunder Boomer by Shutta Crum, Illustrations by Carol Thompson: A summer storm clears the heat on the farm and leaves behind a surprise for the family. The story is told through free versed and excellent pictures. I'll be using this book this year to work toward my goal of including more than just the funny stuff! I like this one a lot.


Pippo the Fool by Tracey E. Fern, Illustrated by Pau Estrada which I already reviewed here, is a definite read aloud. Love the story and pix in this one.

2 comments:

  1. Opera, REALLY?? I think I may be sick during that week....but I really am looking forward to hearing the excitement from The Pit! It provides for a lot of comic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hat That Wore Clara B is a great book. Love Frank Morrison's illustrations.

    A Soup Opera looks like fun with great illustrations

    ReplyDelete