Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

First Book and Breakfast

I've just returned from breakfast, I had the yogurt again, I'll let Karen post the pix since I really don't have a digital camera that I can count on. We also had a great time at Cover to Cover, as usual Sally was more than generous with the ARCs and my reading stack as predicted has changed a bit, I'll update you later. I walked out of the store with the low number of the day, thanks for reminding me...numerous times Franki...14 books but I'm very excited about all of them.

I finished my first book Tumtum and Nutmeg by Emily Bearn. The title characters are wealthy mice that live in Nutmouse Hall. They begin to take care of the somewhat neglected children that live in the house and have adventures with their friends including the eccentric General Marchmouse. I like the stories and was reminded of E.B. White animal stories. The book is actually 3 stories in one book making it just over 500 pages. Since it's written for younger kids in my mind I think I might do one as a read aloud with kindergarten or first grade students, I'm not sure they would want too much more than that at one time.

Here's my updated reading list:

Mudshark by Gary Paulson
Al Capone Does My Shoes (ARC) by Gennifer Choldenko
POP (ARC) by Gordon Korman
Excellent Emma (ARC) by Sally Warner

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bill....I had not seen this book and KNOW my great niece is going to love it! Next birthday gift now chosen. On to my own next posting in 48 HBC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous of the Al Capone book let me know about it! maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bill! I picked this up at BEA last weekend. School just ended here, so this looks like a perfect kick-off-summer book for the rising-second-grader-who-wants-to-roll-back-to-kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete