Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

48 Hour challenge - 4th book done (K)

A year ago, during the 48 Hour Book Challenge, I got to meet Sarah Prineas, the author of The Magic Thief series, at Cover to Cover. I bought the first book, read it, and loved it -- very unusual for someone who isn't a fan of fantasy. It seems only appropriate that one of the books I purchased today was the second book in the Magic Thief series, Lost.

Like the first book, the adventures and magic in this book center around a very unlikely hero, named Connwaer. One of his most notable talents is his ability to pick pockets; another is his ability to pick locks. Conn is an apprentice to a magician by the name of Nevery.

When I reviewed the first book, I said that I thought this would be a series accessible to a wider number of readers. Both books have many supports for readers. They both have maps in the beginning to help the reader understand where events take place in the story. At the back of each book, are sketches of the main characters followed by descriptions. There are also more detailed sketches of the different settings in the story with accompanying descriptions. The Magic Thief series also has a slightly larger size font with space between lines -- easier to read. It's one of those books that looks thick, but doesn't take long at all to read.

Within the story, there are many letters and journal pages written by Conn's master, Nevery. When Conn gets exiled, he writes letters to Nevery as well. Within all this writing is a secret code. The reader can find the translation guide in the back of the book.

One final bonus in the back, that I really enjoy is the list of recipes for some of the food cooked in the book. I don't think this is a part that will appeal to kids, but I like it! :)

Sometimes, you can be disappointed by a second book in a series, but I didn't feel that way at all about Lost. I even realized I was much more comfortable reading a fantasy book the second time because I knew the characters and the setting from the first book. That comfort level allowed me to enjoy the fast pace of the magic this time.

Now that I have 2 books in this series, I look forward to recommending the Magic Thief series to students in the fall. If they like one, they'll have another to read. Though, I must say there is a little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of Lost. Readers will want to know what happens to our hero, Conn, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment