Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

48 Hour challenge - 3rd book done (K)

My third book read was Kate DiCamillo's latest, The Magician's Elephant, due out in September '09. This is actually on loan from Katie (Creative Literacy) who picked this ARC up a few weeks ago.

I heard Katie say at breakfast this morning that she thought that Kate DiCamillo writes in such a poetic way. That really describes this book well. The Magician's Elephant has a rhythm and a repetitiveness that just stays with you. I am so admiring of her word choices as well -- it appears to be written simply, yet the language is so beautiful!

In addition, for a happily ever after person like me, this book is full of hope, even in seemingly impossible situations. The story lifts you up, and makes you want to be a better person.

It appears that there will be many pictures throughout the text, but they weren't all finished for the ARC. I will look forward to the final version of The Magician's Elephant to see how the pictures move the story along. In that way, it reminds me a lot of The Miraculous Journeys of Edward Tulane.

This would be such a wonderful book to share with students!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I read the Mercy Watson books to the kindergarten classes every year and I adore her writing. Good luck with the reading today!

    ReplyDelete