Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

#SOLC - My Nails

I continue to think about relationships for the #SOLC15. Today, I am considering my relationship with my nails.

Last week, I decided it was time to ditch all things winter, even though there were still several inches of snow on the ground. So, when I went to get my gel nail polish touch-up, I noticed this really nice dark watermelon color that was new. I was immediately drawn to how bright and happy the color was.

I did notice that it seemed to have some sparkle to it, but that just seemed to highlight the "fun-ness" of the color. The nail tech applied the color, and in the salon it looked wonderful. I paid and then walked out the door into the sunshine of a brisk winter day.  By the time I walked to my car a short distance from the salon door, that sunshine let me know that I was now channeling the middle school girl in me - that sparkle was more like glitter.

Every time I look at my new nail color, there seems to be more and more glitter embedded on my nails. Recently, I was downtown and there was a cheerleading competition at our convention center. There were many cheerleaders walking around sightseeing, rocking the glitter they wear to jazz up their team appearance - that is exactly how my nails look. Trust me when I say I am way past feeling comfortable with the middle school glitter stage.

So, I am having a relationship issue with this color - I am pretty sure we need to break up. Nothing personal. It's not you, it's me...

For more slices, check out the posts at our wonderful hosts' blog, Two Writing Teachers.

10 comments:

  1. I like how you are focusing on relationships. I love your last lines: So, I am having a relationship issue with this color-I am pretty sure we need to break up. Nothing personal, it's not you, it's me… What a clever way to reflect on trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having thought about writing about my nails myself, I was drawn to your post. I loved it! It gave me such a chuckle. I say embrace your teeny bopper self and flaunt that glitter polish with all the swag you have:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sparkle! I had the same issue with some new sparkly "Jamberry" nails a friend gave me. I tried them and thought "I'm a mom, I can't wear glitter." But by the end of the week, they made me feel happy! Enjoy the sparkle....btw love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean about the glitter, but it is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of writing every day around a theme...like relationships. Your comparison to a cheerleading competition really helped me visualize the amount of glitter on your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also turn to my nails for a little pick-me-up in the midst of the winter doldrums. However, it is my toenails that receive the attention. For some reason I just can't keep my fingernails looking decent long enough to make it to the nail salon. Getting a pedicure in winter is like my own secret little sign of the hope of warmer weather to come. I am currently rocking a lovely hot pink on my toes, seen only by me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to see you participating and writing slices! Your relationship pieces make me stop and think and this one lets me know nail polish season is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess what I used a similar color for my toenails with glitter - seemed like a better place for me to hide my desire for warmer temps. My husband asked, "what did you do to your toes?" I had a similar feeling.

    ReplyDelete