Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Newbery Success

Last week I posted the top 5 books selected by our Newbery Club here at Bailey.  This morning we all met in the library to watch as the awards were announced.  Nearly all 22 kids were present which I think is pretty amazing considering they had to come an hour early for the event.  It may have been the doughnuts, but judging by their reactions when the awards were announced, I'm pretty sure it was the books too!

Of the titles honored, I personally have read 4 out of 5.  The only one I'm missing is Paperboy by Vince Vawter.  I do, however, have it on reserve at the library, so that must count for something.  Of the chosen ones,  only one made it into the club's top 5, or even the top 10 for that matter.  The beauty of it is, that one was the winner, winner chicken dinner, Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo.  I love that the committee once again picked a real kid friendly book, one that can truly be read and enjoyed by kids 9 - 14!

Of the 5 award recipients, our Baily Newbery Club was top notch.  At least one student, and usually more, had read each of the titles chosen.  I will miss meeting with my Newbery friends, it's always fun to be in the company of book lovers and these 5th grade students are just that, book lovers!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was super proud of our students as I learned of the winners. I had the same record as you. I have not read Doll Bones! Happy to say the other books are already in Room 228 ready to be shared and passed around. Until next year friend-thanks for sharing great books.

    ReplyDelete