Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm Back...I Think

After a 5 month hiatus, I think I may be ready to get back to Literate Lives on a more regular basis.  Thank goodness for my blogging buddy, Karen who has kept things active without putting any pressure on me to hold up my end of things here.  I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, so I won't make one here, but my goal is to post at least twice a week. 

Things have been a little busy and the Lovely Mrs. Prosser and I have been experiencing new things, good things, but things that took a little getting used to.  For starters, we are empty nesters.  Our son Steven, one of my final posts was about him, has completed his first semester at Ball State in Muncie, Indiana.  The university has been a perfect fit for him, and in true freshman fashion, he has switched majors.  He is now studying telecommunications looking toward video production.  I'm excited for him and feel sure it is the right decision for him.  He showed some real ability during his senior year of high school using simple cameras and editing software to produce some really awesome videos for his school.  I know he will do well and Ball State has an amazing program in large part thanks to David Letterman.

Our daughter Meredith is in her final semester at Ashland University, and like me, hasn't switched her major once in 4 years.  She started in early childhood education and will finish her degree in May.  She will start her student teaching this week in Sarasota, Florida.  After 6 weeks there she will finish with 6 weeks in Celebration, Florida, the community started by Disney.  I'm anxious to hear what she has to say about the differences she finds in the schools in Florida.  In particular, the Celebration school which was begun with some very innovative educational practices.  She wants to move south to teach to get out of this Ohio winter weather, and I don't blame her.  We will be flying down over spring break to visit and spend some time where it's warm.  I was invited by Meredith's professor to present the role of the elementary librarian and also gave them an intro to children's literature.  It was an amazing experience to see the passion in these young teachers but I was little distressed to see their lack of knowledge about children's literature.

All of this has been very exciting to watch as our kids move on to the next chapter and it has meant that The Lovely Mrs. Prosser and I have had to get used to being just the two of us.  It's meant more dinners out and finding things to do with all of the time we spent chasing them around for the last 22 years.  The house is a lot quieter and we wonder what they're up to when we don't hear from them for a while, but all in all, it's been a pretty easy transition and I'm glad to report that we still enjoy spending time together.

So like I said, my plan is to post twice a week, and hopefully I'll have something to say that will interest our readers.  I'm looking forward to getting back because I know I'm a better teacher when I'm writing consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment