Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thoughts about All Write - Slice of Life / Teachers Write!

I read Tony's piece and Ruth's piece reflecting on All Write, and I loved how they did such a wonderful job synthesizing the main concepts of our two days together -- in one case, the paths our own learning takes and in the other, the notion of security.

I loved what both Tony and Ruth had to say, and they inspired me to reread my notes several times to capture the essence of what Chris Lehman, Carl Anderson, Jeff Anderson, Ruth Ayres, Penny Kittle, and Lester Laminack all shared.

One of the topics I wanted to investigate more was research.  Chris Lehman talked about revising our research notes -- spending time revising and rethinking about the things we have learned.  So, I decided to put his words into action.  I pulled up all the ideas that I had captured in Evernote, and then began a new note - one titled, "Processing".  It was here that I did my revising (see screenshot).  To use his words, by completing this exercise, I rearranged my thinking about what I heard at the conference.  I was able to whittle down some of my notes from speakers and try to crystallize their main points.  Other times, I was jotting down reflections about a quote from someone that really got me thinking.  What a powerful learning tool this was for me.

I listened to Penny Kittle in several sessions, and she clearly shared the importance of teachers sharing our own writing and writing process with our students.  That's not why I did the revision and rethinking of my original notes, but it will certainly be a side benefit.  And I truly can't imagine not engaging in this practice when doing any type of research again.  It truly did help me clarify my thinking.  As I work on writing projects in the months ahead, I think revising my research will be a strategy I come back to time and time again.

Other slices can be found at Two Writing Teachers, Ruth and Stacey's blog, the blog that inspires us all to be here.  Thanks so much to both of these wonderful women for providing us yet one more format in which to write!


9 comments:

  1. Interesting reflection--I wish I had been at the conference. Thanks for the glimpse into revising research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting the way Lehman presented it, wasn't it, Karen. Since we do so much research at my school, this re-visiting & re-writing of notes wasn't a new thought, but I enjoyed his way of organizing too. I loved meeting you during the conference-what an inspiring time to be with and to hear so many people doing great things for education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear about how you continued your thinking from what you learned at All Write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your conference reflections Karen. Good to be with you and our Slicer community,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    Thanks for sharing your reflection. I so wish I could have been there, but thankfully you all tweeted religiously. It looks like an amazing two days. I had to smile at the Evernote snapshot. Perfect way to reflect!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a terrific conference - so many good reflections by several of the Two Writing Teachers slicers! I particularly like the advice for teachers to share their own writing with students. Would love for our staff to do more of this! To show the work and the pleasure of writing, make it real for students. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All Write sounds amazing. I just bought Lehman's new book, and have been viewing some of the presentations he's made at TC - this is obviously something I need to put into practice in my teaching. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you applied Chris's ideas to your own notes - very cool. And I have the book he was sharing - Oh, Rats! Awesome book and would be great in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to process my notes and thinking so I may follow your example. Chris really set my mind to thinking in that research session. I loved it! I, too laugh when I think of your gasp. I didn't realize my name could do that. Such fun and so much learning in two short days.

    ReplyDelete