Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

End of Year Celebrations


My year with my students comes to an end today, even though they have 9 more days of school left. I will be having knee replacement surgery Wednesday which means I've really been scrambling to finish all the end of the year stuff, plus get ready for a sub.

But in the middle of the craziness of progress reports, literacy data collection, and sub plans, I've had many moments of sheer joy as we've looked back at our lives as 5th grade readers and reflected upon that. I was amazed at some of the things my students noticed and observed about their own reading lives. They have become so thoughtful and reflective about their own reading identity.

I could wax on and on about their progress and what I've seen, but I thought it might be better if I just let them speak for themselves. Just click on the letter to enlarge it (if that doesn't work for you, let me know):





























I'm so grateful that I got to spend this past year learning side by side with these talented readers. I wish them all the success in the world and hope that they continue to be life-long readers!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading your students' reflections and you can tell them I jotted down some of the favorite books from their lists. It seems they (& you) have had a great reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all lucky, aren't we? In spite of everything, we've still got the best job on the planet!

    Good luck tomorrow, Soon-to-be-bionic lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, Wishing you all the best! Be a good rule follower...do what the doc says...no more , no less. From one who knows :-)

    ReplyDelete