Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Looking for Newbery: The Predictions

If you're familiar with my path to librarian and blogger began with my search for Newbery winners before they were announced. You may also know that I don't have a very strong track record for having read the award winners before they are announced. All of that being said, I feel pretty good about my chances this year, unless some dark horse candidate, way out of left field is named on Monday, I'm hoping that I will have read several of them this year.

On a quick look around today I counted the number of times books were mentioned in actual prediction posts, it was a pretty unscientific poll, and I didn't dig too deep, the three most often mentioned, were When You Reach Me, I read that, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, didn't read that, and Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice, didn't read that.

However, none of those make my prediction list this year. I'm limiting myself to 5, just like a did with the Caldecott predictions and I'm not naming a winner, I'll call it a success one of my titles wins a medal regardless of color. So here we go:

All the Broken Pieces by Ann E. Burg
Wild Things by Clay Carmichael
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
Also Known as Harper by Ann Haywood Leal
The Small Adventures of Popeye and Elvis by Barbara O'Connor

OK, I'm going to allow myself one dark horse pick because after re-reading my review on Thursday I remembered how much I really liked the book and the way it was written.

The Brooklyn Nine by Alan Gratz

So there they are, I've put myself out there, feel free to leave a comment and do the same. Honestly, I won't be too disappointed if none of my picks win, I'll just be happy if I can say, "Oh, yeah, I read that.".........

Yeah, right! Those of you that know me, know what I really want to say is, "OH, YEAH! I KNEW IT! I PICKED THAT ONE 6 MONTHS AGO! YES!"

14 comments:

  1. that is a good list and they say When you reach me is the favorite but I've read serval on you list and some on other list and feel if you're on the list this year you should be honored because it's a tight race

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't even tell you how much I have loved these posts. Think I'm pretty well read, but I have read almost NONE of these. I'm off the library today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finished Love, Aubrey last night. Starting the O'Connor book today. Your posts have inspired me to read, read, read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stable Granny -- I couldn't agree with you more! Really good books being talked about.

    Carol -- That's how I've felt in previous years. Last years winners took me by surprise. We'll see how we do this year.

    Maclibrary - We love that you've been stopping in to see what books we're talking about. After the announcements and breakfast with my fellow central Ohio bloggers, I plan to read, read, read myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I truly like a risk taker. I am a big fan of Popeye and Wild Things as well. Good Luck.

    I also got into blogging as a result of searching for the Newbery two years ago. I had read and reviewed all the winners that year, but my predictions fell a bit short when I choose Wednesday Wars for the medal and Elijah of Buxton, Book of a Thousand Days and Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree as honors. Come to think of it, I'm still pretty happy with those picks.

    Don't you sometime wish you could be a committee of one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These posts are fun to read! I hope you are able to GLOAT on Monday and I will hear the LOUD version on Tuesday. So when will one of you get on that selection committee? I hope Also Known as Harper is recognized in some manner...looking forward to the Grand Discussion on that title. C-ya, C-ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DaNae,

    Every time I read about your "committee of one" I chuckle. So true! Though, I would have chosen the same books you did. Loved all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read Also Known as Harper of your top 5(looking forward to Thursday's discussion) I would put Homer P. Figg on there somewhere. I'm anxious to see how many of my students come in on Tuesday with the winning titles...we've been talking about it all week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's like the Oscars for enthusiastic readers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So if there was only ONE book from that list of contenders that you were recommending, which one would it be? (Regardless of whether it wins the Newbery.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madelyn,

    Tough call, but probably Also Known as Harper would be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you get to gloat, Bill! I hope we ALL do, but that seems unlikely!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got it, thanks. Will be following tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely keeping my hopes up for When You Reach Me, but I also love many more on the list. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope we don't get completely surprised!

    ReplyDelete