Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Looking for Newbery: Day 13: The Small Adventures of Popeye and Elvis


I love this book! For me, it's wonderful in its simplicity. Barbara O'Connor creates characters that are memorable, and takes the reader on a "small" adventure that all can relate to.

What child hasn't wondered a little further from home than permitted by cautious parents and feel like they are on the adventure of a lifetime. In my review here, I compared it to the times we toured the storm sewer pipes, knowing the whole time we weren't really in any danger but armed ourselves with baseball bats just in case we ran into any cat sized sewer rats.

After reading Fuse #8's predictions today, I was thrilled to see Popeye and Elvis among her choices. Nothing would make me happier on Monday than to hear this title named as a Newbery winner, and then I'm heading out to find as many cans of Cafe Francais International coffee as I can and sending them to Barbara O'Connor!




Other reviews:
Book Nut
You Tube Trailer
Becky's Book Reviews
Read, Read, Read!

8 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of my adventures exploring the sewer drains with friends. This sounds like a great book. My TBR list is growing like crazy as I read Newberry predictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHY have I not read this book yet, when everywhere I turn someone is loving it???? Must retify...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having joined the Comment Challenge last Friday, I am excited to find so many blogs that I never knew about. My library card is going to be maxed out and my fingers sore from so much typing, but I am having the time of my life. I too remember biking into the unknown parts of the neighborhood - the empty lot with the HUGE mounds of dirt and the open field next to the shopping center. Oh, to be young again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Bill...you're the best! Thanks for being so supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about this book. Thanks for another confirmation (read: directive!) I'm another one for the sewer drains...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is on my desk in the to-read pile. Irene Latham loaned me the book saying it was good. Have you read Love, Aubrey or Wild Girl
    I also know Alan Gratz and his book on the list "The Brooklyn Nine" is great

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't know how relieved I am to find others who have explored storm sewers, at first I thought it might sound a little odd, but boy was it fun.

    I did read The Brooklyn Nine and reviewed it, I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a great suggestion for my birthday book box list. I used to teach high school English, but have often wondered if maybe I should have been the school librarian--I loved hanging out in the library. Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete