Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking for Newbery: Day 6: Wild Things

When I picked this book up from the library, I remembered I had already read it. I looked back through my journal and found my entry, it was short and at first didn't help me much with this post. Here's what I wrote on September 12.

Zoe is adopted by an uncle after her mom, a mental patient dies. She deals with grief, small town attitudes, new life trusting someone and taming a cat. There's a lot going on in this book.

After I read through that a couple of times, I realized that the last line summed up my feelings for the book. There's A LOT going on in this book. My journal list didn't even begin to list all of the things. In addition to those mentioned, there's a mysterious cabin in the woods, an elderly lady who may or may not be related to Zoe, an albino deer being protected by a wild boy of some sort, a world renowned heart surgeon who "drops out" to become a world renown sculptor, that same heart surgeon has some sort of mysterious past, and the list goes on!

However, even with all of those things going on, author Clay Carmichael keeps them all together and flowing through the entire book. I was never confused or overwhelmed by the plot lines because they all play on one another in such a way that it keeps the reader wanting to try to tie some of them up, which happens in the very end of the book. I think it would take a pretty good elementary reader to be able to keep all of it straight, but middle schoolers will probably enjoy this story.

More reviews at:
Read North Carolina Novels
Fuse #8
Muddy Puddle Musings (COOL BLOG NAME)
Library Lounge Lizard (ANOTHER COOL BLOG NAME)

No comments:

Post a Comment