Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Looking for Newbery - The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

Can you believe it is less than 2 weeks until we find out the winner of this year's Newbery award? It seems so much earlier this year! I don't envy the judges their job; there are a lot of noteworthy books to consider. One such book is The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.

I read this book during the summer, and fell in love with Calpurnia. In my review of this book, I said it was the best historical fiction I had read since Hattie Big Sky. Six months later, I stand by that statement. I loved Hattie so much because she bucked traditional roles for women in her time; Calpurnia is made out of the same fabric as Hattie. She is a young girl who doesn't conform to what is expected of her, much to her family's chagrin (with the exception of her grandfather).

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is getting positive attention from far more than just me, though:

1) This book has received 4 starred reviews from different review journals.

2) Calpurnia also was on 5 "Best of the Year" awards given from different literary entities.

3) It is on the Allen County Public Library's Mock Newbery list.

I love this book! Now, if I could just find my copy. I loaned it to a student or a colleague, and I am dying to have it back in my possession before January 18! No idea who I loaned it to -- part of that memory loss that occurs with the over 50 thing! Best of luck to Calpurnia Tate!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, friend, it's hard to get old! Fear not, the book is in good hands, MINE! It's on my "to read" stack at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is a book I read months ago and love! I hope it wins the Newbery. I recently checked it out again to reread.I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title sounds familiar, but I've not read it. Off to the library website to request it! (I love how being a mom, and a homeschooler, and a blogger, gives me a great excuse to read wonderful children's books!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying this series. I loved The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate. It would be my Newberry pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my favorite books I read this year. I'd be happy to see it get a Newbery!

    ReplyDelete