Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Looking for Newbery: Day 10 & Predicting Caldecott

I'm giving you a link to my review of Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Stories Muscle Man McGinty Told Me by Nan Marino from July. This is a book that has grown on me over time. I really enjoyed the mixture of humor and real life. It may appear at a Grand Discussion in the near future!

Other Reviews:
Bermudaonion
Kiss the Book
Fuse #8

...and now for my Caldecott predictions:

I have around 40 books on display for the staff and students of Bailey to vote on next week. I pulled the titles from the Allen County list and some other well known blog sites and threw in a few that probably have no chance but I love them any way. I read over at 100 Scope Notes where he interviewed Ed Spicer, a former Caldecott selection committee member, that the Caldecotts are much harder to predict than the Newbery. I agree, and I think it's probably because the field is so wide open! But enough chit chat, here are my choices. I'd love to hear yours, so leave a comment and let me know.

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
All the World Illustrated by Marla Frazee
The Goblin and the Empty Chair Illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon
Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes Illustrated by Barry Moser
14 Cows for America Illustrated by Thomas Gonzalez

I'll be sure to post the results for our voting here at school and anxiously await the official announcements on January 18.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Neil Armstrong is.... and had it on my shortlist for a time. I must tell you that my pick for the Caldecott is The Curious Garden by Peter Brown. It truly is a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,
    I agree The Curious Garden is good! I also liked Tsunami a lot, but I forced myself to only pick 5. I think that's what makes the Caldecott so tough to pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney sure has received a lot of buzz. Excited to see the results next week. We like the Curious Garden as well.

    ReplyDelete