Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Looking for Newbery: Day 12: Also Known as Harper


Sorry for the late post, I spent the day in Cleveland watching my son play volleyball and forgot it was my turn! So that means I'm going to post a post from a while ago about Also Known as Harper.

I know we are a week away, and I'm not sure the official day that Karen and I will post our Newbery choices, but count on this, Also Known as Harper, Ann Haywood Leal's first novel, will be at the top of my list. I love this book. I'm looking forward to hearing it called on January 18, but I think I'm even more excited about our Grand Discussion of it on January 21.

Other reviews:
Semicolon
Diane Chen at School Library Journal
Read, Read, Read

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet. I'll have to check it out.

    I look forward to the Newbery discussion, too!

    All the best,
    Lori
    www.loricalabrese.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, because I know a good idea when I see one, this will be the inaugural book for the GREat Discussion at my new school on January 25! It will be fun for Bill and me to post notes about our different discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had almost forgotten about this book! It was fantastic and I could definitely see it winning an award (or two!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a panelist for middle grades fiction for Cybils and absolutely loved this book. We had a lot of really great ones. This one touchs lives. Some of my students can identify with being homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds like a great one to read. One of the things that I love about the major awards is that in the lead up, there are so many great books discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this one, but oddly enough most of my students didn't. It's the first book I ever abandoned as a read aloud (with 2/4 classes).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might say this one is my favorite. Karen and Bill...Im looking forward to read about the discussion you will have with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's interesting to read your blog-- I didn't like a lot of the books that you did, but you are correct that something like Anything But Typical (which I did like) will probably win an award. This is too bad, because it's not necessarily a book that a lot of actual children will connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great title. My daughter Harper gasped when she saw it at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete