Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

My #OLW for 2015


I actually had to go back and research what word I used for my #OLW this past year; I think that speaks to the fact that the word didn't find me, but rather I went looking for it. I could make up a post about how it truly guided my life this year, but it would be false, so I'm not even bothering.

This year, my word absolutely found me: COURAGE.

Many of you know this, but my mom died this past month - Dec. 13, to be precise. It came on the heels of the painful loss our friends had. It has been a difficult holiday season in many respects for my family and me.

But a friend who had recently lost a parent reached out and introduced me to an author I didn't know with this article. Glennon Doyle Melton's article spoke to me in important ways; ways that are helping me survive the grief of this past month. "Courage Today." That was something I could wake up each morning and try to live by. One day at a time. This was manageable, at least most days. Others were meant to be grieving with naps, tears, or total lethargy.

I truly wasn't going to participate in #OLW this year; it felt like one more thing on a plate I was barely balancing as it was. But there was that word - COURAGE - that I have been saying to myself each morning. Give me courage today. It was calling my name and I had to respond.

So COURAGE is the word that will guide me this year because it is currently helping me get through the day emotionally.

But, I think the longer-lasting impact of COURAGE will be important in my life as well, especially as I approach a new decade of life this year.

Courage to take even more chances professionally.
Courage to push my body to try new things athletically.
Courage to embrace all the small moments of life.
Courage to share the hard stuff; not just the good.
Courage to reach out and help others less fortunate than me.
Courage to embrace my new decade and all the wonderful it will bring.

7 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I love your word. You and I are walking similar paths. I'm so sorry for the losses you have experienced in 2014 and hope 2015 will be a bit brighter.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I love this word too. Wishing you much, much courage, and life's richest blessings in 2015!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, heartfelt, reflective and powerful writing,Karen! I love your word. I will continue to keep you in my daily thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Karen, I am so sorry to hear the news about your mom. I wish you courage, peace, and strength for 2015. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen~
    I am so glad courage has found you, I'm pretty sure it was there all along. Reading your stories of loss have shown us how strong you are, and yes, I imagine some days are meant for tears, naps and not much more, but writing is a soothing gift, thanks for sharing your gifts with me and all your readers.
    ~deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect word for 2015! May it guide you one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a perfect word for a year of risk-taking, discovery, healing, growing, and changing. Hugs to you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete