I worked at the teacher time raffle station, and got to see all the children who were eagerly buying tickets in hopes that they would get to spend one-on-one time with their teacher. So much excitement about getting to make necklaces, have a teacher cook breakfast for them, play dodgeball with six of their friends, attend a sleepover at the school with a group of teachers, go to a restaurant with their teacher, and much, much more. Fun stuff!
There was even more fun and happiness swirling all around me:
- An incredibly enthusiastic DJ playing great songs like Cotton Eye Joe, the Electric Slide, YMCA, and Thriller, to name a few. Not only did he play the songs, he was down on the floor surrounded by kids dancing with him. Fun!
- I watched face after face pass me by, and each one looked so interesting after having visited the face painting station. They all seemed to be happy to have their animals or butterflies painted on their entire faces.
- Entire families attending the event together: grandparents, younger siblings in strollers, moms, dads, older siblings that used to attend Glacier Ridge. More fun.
- Some of those older siblings were former students of mine, and I couldn't believe how many of those middle schoolers were still willing to give me a hug. It made me incredibly happy to see their faces, catch up on their lives, and get their hugs.
- Great food smells wafting through the commons area. I'm such a sucker for fresh popped popcorn. The smell of baked goods being won or purchased wasn't shabby, either.
- Current students running by to say hi, all sweaty from jumping on the inflatables in the gym or from too much dancing. Either way, their glistening, perspiration-soaked bodies were indications of how much energy they were putting into having fun today.
Let's hear it for more happiness and fun!