Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Drip Castle How-To -- Slice of Life Challenge

Sometimes I take for granted that everyone has the same frame of reference and background knowledge as me.  I know, I know -- I'm an educator, I should know better!  I so appreciated how many people stopped by for yesterday's post about sandcastle dreams, but what I didn't expect were how many questions people had about drip castles, something I took for granted.  So, before I start the massive laundry job and grocery shopping needed for today, my post today is a how-to for drip castles (I guess I wasn't quite ready to stop sand castle dreaming!).
**Disclaimer: There are other strategies, far more active and intricate, for how to accomplish this feat; this is just a time-proven way for the Terleckys. :)

Drip Castle How-To

As the tide edges backward
position your beach chair
on location the waves 
just inhabited

Now plop
down into that chair
make sure you have 
good access to reaching
wet sand with your hand

Time to scoop:
gather fistfuls of wet sand
in the palm of your hand
turn hand at 90 degree angle
let wet sand slide out 
of your hand 
and drip back onto the beach
drip, drip, drip

Formation of sand 
takes awhile
each castle artist 
 has own style
plan on spending time 
with feet dug into the sand
soaking up the sun's rays
listening to the waves 
moving further away
drip, drip, drip


 As always, thanks to Stacey and Ruth at Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge!

12 comments:

  1. I inferred through your text and pictures yesterday, but these directions have enlightened me. Should I be on a beach, I will try this method of castle building. I would definitely be plopping into my chair. Sorry you have to get to the laundry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Elsie, I imagined what it would be like to create a drip castle from yesterday's slice. Your poem makes it sound much more relaxing and spontaneous a process. Lovely poem, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I love drip castles. I'm not sure if it is the ease of building them or the feeling of the sand and water running through my hands. Whatever it is, I feel the need to be on the beach now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drip castles were always my favorite to make. Once beach weather is here, I'll have to make one! I loved how you created a poem to explain how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "plan on spending time 
    with feet dug into the sand
    soaking up the sun's rays
    listening to the waves 
    moving further away"

    I love these lines. Although I can't be on the beach today I want to spend some time today plopped into a chair immersed in a favorite activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These castles are really neat, and thanks for increasing my schema. I hope to sit at the beach someday soon and try one. Hope your week back is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I am thinking one can read a book and build a drip castle simultaneously? An instructional poem --- great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the "How-To" in the form of a poem. Could be a great mentor texts for some of my first graders! They're working on "How-To" books. The consistency of the sand is critical. Too coarse it falls apart and doesn't stack, too soupy and it turns to much. It is an art - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh - you have made me wish for a nearby beach, a beach chair, and a free afternoon! I have never heard of this form of sand castle, much let alone seen one, so if I have a chance to hang out on a beach, I will look forward to giving this a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving that you are posting some poetry. The drip castle is a new technique for me! Also, not sure I've ever read a how-to poem. Love your style! (in both sand castles and poetry!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just on an ocean trip LAST year, & now you make me wish I had another in the future. It's a terrific idea for a how-to poem, Karen. I can't wait to try it out someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the images created in my mind and sensations created through this how to.

    ReplyDelete