Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book Club Poem - Slice of Life Challenge

I have attended two different book clubs in as many nights.  I value the time I spend with both of these groups on so many levels.  Where else can you gather and manage to talk about books, solve all the world's problems, laugh until your sides hurt, have a favorite beverage, and eat amazing food?  I am so fortunate to be part of both of these groups, so I am dedicating this attempt at a poem to all of the women in my book clubs.


Book Club

smart women sharing
and reveling in the power of words
gathered round a table or counter
brimming with goodies to eat and drink
 joined together by love of books

 equally content
to address personal matters
or share how we might run the world

 collecting great titles
for future reading
the books and the companionship
both hold equal value for all


As always, thanks to Stacey and Ruth at Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge!

6 comments:

  1. So, can I come visit on your two-book-club-night weeks, Karen? How great is that to have two delicious women's groups, as your poem exudes friendliness & woman power! I've had to give up those nights lately, but hope I can wrangle up a group again soon. I love that middle part 'equally content to address personal matters or share how we might run the world'. Absolutely that shows a group. And I like the 'equal value for all'. What a nice tribute to your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I don't know how you do it. How do you keep up with two book clubs and the zillions of other things you do in your life? My head spins just thinking about it. I enjoyed your poem. I loved the first words in each line of your first stanza: smart, reveling, gathered, brimming and joined. They really demonstrate how you come together to share. I think my favorite line was "how we might run the world." I think we'd all be a lot better off if your book clubs were in charge!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got home from seeing THE HUNGER GAMES with my book club. And I agree with you-smart women, great conversations, and yummy snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sGreat poem! Love our book club on so many levels. Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you talk about being "joined together" and "equally content to address personal matters." A good book club will do just that, allow you to open your lives to eachother, your reading life, but so much more too. How much richer we are for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two book clubs and a blogger and a poet! Amazing! Oh, and I forgot a minor detail, teacher too. I love what you have captured here - book clubs are delicious!

    ReplyDelete