Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Caldecott Picks

Last year I held a Mock Caldecott vote in the library. The kids seemed to get into it and the books we included on our ballot didn't stay on the shelves for the rest of the year. In fact, some of them still had waiting lists in June when school closed. We voted again this year the ballot included 54 titles, all on display during the voting. The Top 5 of the Bailey Caldecott voting are as follows:

1. Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
2. Twelve Terrible Things
3. Not a Stick
4. Big Plans
5. Woolbur

I'm pretty sure the vote was influenced by THE PIT since Dinosaur vs. Bedtime was the last read aloud before the voting and it was LOUD! I think my throat is just now recovering. I didn't do as much research into what the experts' favorites were this year I just went with what was read and enjoyed in the library.

My predictions are as follows, again, I didn't pay as much attention to what the favorites were this year, so I don't expect much success, but I highly recommend all of these fabulous books.

1. Twelve Terrible Things: I reviewed it here. The perspective on these pictures is amazing and I still laugh out loud every time I look at it, I'm only afraid it came out too late in the year to get much attention.

2. Woolbur: I love this book. The sheep refusing to follow the flock makes me smile. I reviewed it here. Sort of opposite of Twelve Terrible Things, this book got a lot of love in the beginning, but I'm afraid people may have forgotten it came out in 2008. I know I did.

3. Friday My Radio Flyer Flew: Look at that kid's face! I love the two page illustrations. My review is here.

4. Abe's Honest Words: Kadir Nelson, 'nuf said. I regret that I forgot to put this one out for the kids to vote on.

5. The Little Yellow Leaf: Ok, this one is making an appearance on some lists of favorites. I never paid much attention to it until recently when I shared it with the kids in THE PIT as an example of what the "experts" are saying may win. The more I read it, the more I liked it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion of Dinosaur versus Bedtime! I've added it to our list of books to hunt down at the library. We might be a little young for it around here (14 months), but dinosaurs have become popular in the last few weeks after a membership at a natural history museum. It's nice to know that Not a Stick is liked by your library kids, because I couldn't get our (admittedly too young) son to give it a second glance. Now I have hope and will try it again in a few months/years. I like the concept, akin to Harold and the Purple Crayon in terms of imaginary play.

    ReplyDelete