Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Looking for Newbery - Day 8


Bird Lake Moon by Kevin Henkes was an absolutely delightful book! Having the setting be at a lake was so key to this story -- I've always believed in the healing powers of bodies of water; I don't know what it is about water that is so calming for me, but it is. Even in my adult reading, I just read a book that was set in Nantucket, and I felt relaxed just reading about the beaches and the ocean waves. In Bird Lake Moon, the lake also draws the characters together in an important way.

Henkes has created and developed two boy characters (Mitch and Spencer) that will stay with me for a while. At the heart of this story is how friendships can be cultivated, tested, and eventually, they can endure. The relationship beween Mitch and Spencer is one of the reasons I couldn't put this book down from the moment that I started it -- I read it through non-stop yesterday afternoon.

Another reason I loved this book is the beautiful language Henkes incorporates, and how the story continually changes point of view between Mitch and Spencer.

Four Mock Newbery lists felt that Bird Lake Moon needed some love January 26 -- I think these 4 lists have chosen well!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have always known Kevin Henkes as a picture book author. Last summer I read "Olive's Ocean." It was an incredible read. I'm glad to see he has more YA work out there! I'll have to check this out sometime!

    ReplyDelete