Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Looking for Newbery - Day 9

I was a busy beaver today, doing many, many errands, so I'm bringing a book back from our archives today since I didn't get an opportunity to read another Newbery possibility from the mock Newbery lists.

When We Are the Ship by Kadir Nelson came out, I read it, and fell in love with it, and wasn't shy about saying so. I'm not sure into what category We Are the Ship fits, but it is beautifully illustrated and beautifully written. We Are the Ship is truly a creative piece of art. And according to Fuse #8's mock Newbery roundup, it seems that four mock Newbery lists would agree with me!

3 comments:

  1. This countdown is compelling! Kudos for innovating the blog post format in this way -- I am following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ARE THE SHIP made the CYBILS shortlist for intermediate grade/YA nonfiction. I agree with you- it's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty crazy how this one is getting mentioned in Caldecott and Newbery discussions. Man, I hope it lands somewhere - what an amazing book. Thanks for the "countdown to the big award" posts. I don't know what I'm gonna do when they're over - I just want to keep on looking back.

    ReplyDelete