Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Cold in Carolina - SOL, March 26

It was cold in South Carolina today.  Specifically, there were freeze warnings, and it didn't make it out  of the 30's until after 11 AM.  Now I know I probably have some friends laughing, knowing that they have snow on the ground or in the middle of a blizzard where they are.

Cold in Carolina?  The 30's?  Please, Karen, be serious.  That's not real cold.  Get a grip.

Because I knew there would be no sympathy on this issue from some of you, I decided to embrace this day and all of its temperature fluctuations.  I wasn't going to let a few degrees stop me from enjoying the day.

This morning, I put on at least 4 layers on the top, and 3 layers on the bottom for my daily walk along the beach.  It was brisk, with a stiff ocean breeze blowing as well.  But, I was able to enjoy several things along the way during my hour-long walk:

  • the waves were barely breaking; the ocean was as smooth as glass
  • the sun was shining brightly; not a cloud in the crystal blue sky
  • the dolphins playing and cavorting as they looked for food
  • greeting several of my new-found Hilton Head friends
  • watching little ones play in the sand, and reflecting back on the days our girls did the same -- so many great memories!
This afternoon, it warmed up to a balmy 50 degrees and I was grateful because my husband and I had gotten a tee time to play golf.  I'm normally a very fair-weather golfer, so this was going outside my comfort zone, but once again, I layered my golf clothing and was good to go.  It was a great afternoon:
  • we have been looking forward to getting out on the golf course all winter
  • though my score might indicate otherwise, I was quite happy with several of my shots
  • Myron and I had time to be alone and talk since we weren't paired up with another two-some
  • we got to see at least 20 turtles and 3 huge alligators sunning themselves (luckily our shots didn't land anywhere near those big guys!)
So yes, it was cold in South Carolina today, but we made it work anyway.  I'm sure that the year-round residents were shaking their heads at the crazy people outside, but it turned out to be a day full of surprises and fun.  And a lot of layered clothing.


With only 5 days to go, be sure to check out the other slices at Two Writing Teachers blog.

7 comments:

  1. You made the cold weather sound exciting (and positive)! I loved reading all of the "noticings" throughout your day! It sounds like you truly made a wonderful day of it. I hope you are having a wonderful spring break! Thinking of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    You made the best of a cold sitaution...but it can't feel tooo bad because here in Ohio today it was 18 degrees and snowy. Also, glad you go to see the wildlife! That's so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you embraced the chilly weather and still got outside to do what you enjoy. The wildlife you saw sounds amazing. It's always fun to see things you can't see back home. Good news from the north, I think this has to be the last cold snap for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a fabulous day despite the chilly temps! Glad you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    The residents were probably saying, "Those crazy midwesterners." I'm sorry it was so cold. Truly I am sorry. I'm glad you were able to get out anyway and have a great day. It seems like you're enjoying your well deserved break.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold is a relative term, depending on what you've endured prior to the current temp. Your cold today was a drop in the bucket compared to the polar vortex arrival. Good thing you had the clothes to layer. Hope warmer weather is blowing your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a wonderful day, no matter what. Just to see the ocean, the dolphins would make mine wonderful. Thirties on the beach & windy is "cold", so good for you for bundling up & trekking anyway-another good memory!

    ReplyDelete