Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking for Newbery - 2013 Style

**This picture is from the Heavy Medal blog**
Happy 2013!!!

Bill and I got together yesterday morning for a long breakfast to catch up on each others' lives and to decide where we want to go with our blog.  Those of you who patiently follow us, know that to say we haven't posted with regularity recently would be a huge understatement.  We thank you for your patience, and want you to know we've decided to continue with our mission here - reading good books and getting them into the hands of students.

I think the thing that put it over the edge for us was our conversation about which book might possibly win the Newbery Award on Jan. 28.  We've done our Looking for Newbery series the past few years and have had a lot of fun with it, but this year we've decided to change a few things.

First of all, there are many sites available to all of us that talk about Mock Newbery lists with much more background knowledge about what really wins the Newbery than we have.  Heavy Medal blog and Fuse #8, both at SLJ, are great examples of this.  In addition, we have discovered Anderson's Bookshop Mock Newbery list, and then there is the Mock Newbery group over at GoodReads.

Bill and I have decided to use these lists as our jumping off points, and then we are both going to try to read the Newbery winner, which we hope might be reflected from one of these lists.  Our goal this year is not to tell you what we think might win the Newbery, but rather to read the books mentioned, and to do a quick review of each.

We'd love to have you follow our journey, as we are sure many of you are also doing some frantic reading just like us, as we head to the big date of Jan. 28.  Let's have some fun talking about books together during the month of January!!

We hope 2013 is a wonderful year for all of you.

5 comments:

  1. I will definitely be following you. i think I read quite a bit this year,and a lot of great books, but then when I looked at Anderson's Mock Newbery, I had only read five books on their list. YIKES! I have a lot of reading to do between now and mid-January. Or maybe I should say a lot of reading I COULD do, because when I go back to school I don't get more than a book or two a week, usually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to you reviews. Thanks for the SLJ links. Those are great resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol - we felt the same way when we looked at the lists. So many books, so little time!! :) We will get as many read as we can.

    Ebony - you are so welcome for the links. We have used them so many times ourselves. Glad to hear you find them useful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To HAVE READ the Newbery, rather than picking it. A good goal. This year, I'm going to watch from the sidelines. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Have read" is so much easier and less stressful. I can enjoy these books of literary merit while also enjoying books that appeal to my own taste. It's a win-win!!
    Maybe I will have read the Newbery; maybe not. Just planning on having some fun. :)

    ReplyDelete