Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

And Now My Newbery 2 Cents Worth

Thought I'd chime in with my Newbery 2 cents.  All in all, I was very pleased with the awards announced today.  I watched in the library with my super aide Yvonne and an occasional knock on the window from our enrichment teacher Joyce upstairs.

Number one exciting moment, our Bailey Newbery Club PICKED THE WINNER!  Let me repeat that, a fantastic group of 5th grade readers who worked really hard and read a lot of books over the last 3 months, PICKED THE WINNER!  WOO HOO FOR THEM!

I was thrilled that the committee actually picked a book that many kids have read and loved.  Such a beautiful book that is accessible to so many students, thank you Newbery folks.

I have read 2 and a little less than half of the 4 winners.  My list is Ivan, which I loved and reviewed about a year ago when it showed up in the book fair and Three Times Lucky which I reviewed as well.  I started Splendors and Glooms but it just wasn't my thing and I didn't finish it.

It may not count, but the call from the library that Bomb is waiting for me to pick up came today.  I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and get started.

Our library has 5 out of the 6 Caldecott titles, only missing Sleep Like a Tiger.  Two out of the six have been shared in THE PIT.

Finally, I really enjoyed the way Karen and I "looked for Newbery" this year.  Seemed a little less stressful and gave me the chance to really enjoy the books.  I wish I had posted more reviews, but I certainly won't leave any sleep over it.


1 comment:

  1. Many thanks to you and Maria. My son really enjoyed the Mock Newbery experience this year and we both enjoyed reading the books. I'm only sorry that I have to wait 3 more years before my next son joins the Newbery Club - my oldest is recruiting him already.

    ReplyDelete