Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

Love my lunch ladies! - #SOLSC Day 24



I love March, when during the Slice of Life Challenge, I commit to writing on a daily basis. It's fun during 31 days of posts to watch the ebb and flow of my writing. Some days I'll be incredibly pleased with how a post turned out; other days I'll just be glad I posted anything at all. A huge thanks to the gang at Two Writing Teachers for hosting, organizing, and commenting on this ginormous event each year. I appreciate the community of writers you encourage the entire month of March, and all the Tuesdays the rest of the year. Thank you, thank you.

**This March, I plan to connect as many posts as possible to my #OLW for the year - SAVOR.** 


Make a couple extra hash browns today. Karen will want some for lunch today for sure.

Many people talk about the most important people in a school being the secretaries and the custodians. I totally agree, but would like to add one more category to that list - the cooks in the cafeteria. I am of the firm belief that developing a rapport and a relationship with the people cooking the food is incredibly important.

In the school I just exited, the cooks are Cheryl and Alisha. At lunchtime every day, I head down to the cafeteria kitchen to fill my cup with ice from the machine. Each day, I check out what is on the student lunch choices. And each and every day, Cheryl and Alisha greet me with incredibly warm words and smiles.

As we've chatted over the past year when I'm in that building, they have learned I love three specific things from the school lunch: hash browns, tater tots, and Goldfish Giant Graham Crackers. So when I come to get my ice, they have those things waiting for me on days they are being served. I love that I've chosen three of the most un-nutritious things possible, and they never judge me.

Make a couple extra hash browns today. Karen will want some for lunch today for sure.

A smile, a warm welcome, and some hash browns. I've come to savor that combination. I will miss it.


6 comments:

  1. I love this post - the relationship you curated, the message they send my saving your favorites. I never go to the cafeteria at our middle school. Hmm, feeling the need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry!! I totally agree about the relationships built by those who cook for students. I often present in cafeterias so while I am waiting to set up I get to eavesdrop on conversations. The connections, questions and smiles go a long way for a lot of kids. It will be hard for you beat that combination next year!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sweet (and savory) slice - the truest statement is the one about the lunch ladies being paramount to running a successful school. How wonderful when we take the time to form these unique relationships. This is what it's all about, climate and culture is driven by relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cafeteria ladies at my school know that I'm always ready for their macaroni and cheese. Have you checked out Jarret Krosoczka's School Lunch Hero Day? I love being able to celebrate these folks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lunch ladies hold a special place in my heart. Ms. Kym kept my boys from starving to death before I adopted them. And I love Marci, who I work with now, but she doesn't ever give me food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every single person -- from the teachers to the service providers to the lunch ladies to the janitor -- provide essential functions to make a school run well. I love that you show your appreciation towards them!

    ReplyDelete