Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Vacation reading - #SOL March 22



It's March and time for the Slice of Life Challenge! Thanks so much to the entire crew at Two Writing Teachers for organizing and hosting this massive event! You are all rock stars!

I'm excited to be part of the Challenge again this year. As I continue to tap into "joy" as the motivation for my writing, I am also tracking the territories about which I tend to write (and sometimes intertwine). Current writing territories are teaching, family, friends, travel, working with a personal trainer, the quirks of being me.

For me, getting ready for a vacation is an exciting time. And of all the many things I look forward to packing, the packing of books is my #1 priority.


I begin gathering books at least a month in advance. I have a pile I keep in the living room, adding to it as needed. The variety of books I bring are as eclectic as me:
  • Advanced Review Copies that I have been given that will be coming out in the next few months that I want to pass on to teachers and students.
  • My next adult book club book - read in preparation for going to hear Laura Lippman speak about her latest book in May. For now, we are reading one of her older titles, What the Dead Know.
  • A few chick lit books, especially ones set in the South - what beach vacation would be complete without one of those?
  • One or two spy or mystery books because I love them and my husband can enjoy them as well.
  • New children's books about which I have heard a lot of positive things - the 2nd book in the  MasterMinds series by Gordon Korman and Pax by Sara Pennypacker topped this list.
  • Books friends have recommended it and I reserved at the library - Adrianna Trigiani's book, All the Stars in the Heavens is one of these.
The process was more arduous this year than in previous years because I brought so many print books. I gave my self an arbitrary rule - I could only bring what fit in the bag. That's tougher than it seems. And did I mention, I brought my Kindle as backup also?!!

It's also important to note that, though I have been reading a great deal professionally as of late, not one professional title made it into the bag of vacation reading.

I read quickly, but I don't kid myself that I will finish all of these books. However, I do need choice in my reading, and depending on the day, I never know what I might be in the mood to read next. Therefore, choices are available.

What are you reading over spring break, or this spring?

One of the final revisions of books
that would come on vacation with me

9 comments:

  1. Finished What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman. Now on my third title of hers. Also loved All the Stars in Heaven.
    Hope you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moley -- how long is your spring break?? Those are some awesome titles you packed to bring along. I'm reading Pax right now myself. Happy reading, Karen!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I used to go away, the packing of the books was always my first project too! I figured I would need one or two books each day, depending on length. It was hard to go on an airplane with that many books. I always ended up without very many clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collecting books for vacation is the best way to get into a vacation frame of mind. I love that you have left the professional books behind. This should be a time for joy reading (yes, I do think professional books can bring joy too). Absolutely, a reader's got to have options in her reading diet. Enjoy and relax with a great book or two or three . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually bring a couple of books, most include poetry, but I admit that I also load my Kindle for long air trips. I love your reasons for each one, Karen. It's a big decision what to take!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pile started on my desk at school. Can't wait for sping break reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hoping you will take Pax - such a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great stack. I'm glad to know your daily reading depends upon your mood. I love having ebooks because I can choose from a variety of books each time I sit down to read. I often have 3-5 books going at once which I'm never sure is the best habit. It can sometimes take me a bit to get through a title because I'm moving through so many. Hope you are enjoying your time on the beach!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading Pax and deliberately slowing down as I near the end. I hate to say goodbye to books I love. Love your stack of possibilities! Reading is the best part of a vacation.

    ReplyDelete