Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Synopsis of a Vacation - #SOL March 26

 It's March and time for the Slice of Life Challenge! Thanks so much to the entire crew at Two Writing Teachers for organizing and hosting this massive event! 

Thanks also to Ruth for each week hosting celebrations from us all. What a gift.

I'm excited to be part of the Challenge again this year. As I continue to tap into "joy" as the motivation for my writing, I am also tracking the territories about which I tend to write (and sometimes intertwine). Current writing territories are teaching, family, friends, travel, working with a personal trainer, the quirks of being me. Today, I am celebrating the gift of travel and time to recharge.


It is Saturday and time for both a slice and a celebration. As I look back on this week, there is much to celebrate. It was a week away at Hilton Head to rest, recharge, and rejuvenate for both my husband and me. Reflecting back on the week, here's a synopsis of all the things I'm celebrating:

Lots of activity.
Having the opportunity to take a daily walk with my husband.
Then, moving on to an hour-long beach walk on my own.
Daily bike rides, sometimes on the beach and other times on the many bike paths of the island.
Golfing - two rounds of 18 holes with my husband.
Only lost 1 golf  ball to the golf gods or alligators.

Wonderful food.
Seafood with each dinner except one - she-crab soup, shrimp, lobster, grouper - lots of yummy!
Publix subs - I read this article (see #1) and this article a few years ago and I couldn't agree more with both!
Piggly-Wiggly - the best place to go to ask for local shrimp to be steamed while you wait.

Reading.
Finished 4 books out of 11 I brought.
(But I had choices!)
Found a new author to me - Laura Lippman - and loved her.
Many different places to settle in and read - our balcony, poolside, at the beach (my feet buried in the sand), in my corner chair in the condo with a view of the ocean.
Listened to my first-ever audio book during our drive from home and back.

Dolphins
Saw them two different days
First day saw pod of 10 on two separate occasions while on my walk.
Next day, saw 2 dolphins looking for dinner.
Dolphins bring out the kid in me; I got so excited when I saw them.

Time.
The blessing of time not scheduled.
Time to breathe.
A gift to celebrate.




15 comments:

  1. Lovely. Sounds like an amazing week. Each one of these could be a new slice. Love the list format with just a few more details to bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    Your R & R sounds wonderful. I love the beach and found myself savoring your details. What a great celebration and slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the edge of your map
    is my territory;
    On the edge of mine;
    yours.

    The spinning compass
    of navigational lines
    yet to be charted
    shift with time and space.
    each place a marker for story.

    Your map and my map -- they overlap --
    so I leave you a little beacon,
    a lighthouse poem to help guide your way.

    --Kevin, lifting a line to leave a poem as comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely week! I've been looking for slices from you to live vicariously on your beach retreat, and finally it appeared. So much to celebrate in the rejuvenation of the spirit. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely time you've had - it will sustain you until summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That "blessing of time" says much, and oh your list. It sounds like such a marvelous week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many simple and beautiful celebrations here. I love that blessing of time not scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you have so much to celebrate. It sounds like a wonderful vacation. I like the way you structured your reflection. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vacation sounds absolutely wonderful. I took a cue from you and played my entire vacation. No work at all. :) Happy Easter Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad --sounds wonderful! Hope your transition back to reality goes smoothly. Tammy and I call it "Re-entry" important to prepare yourself!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your celebration and especially that last stanza:
    "Time.
    The blessing of time not scheduled.
    Time to breathe.
    A gift to celebrate."
    It makes me take a deep breath just reading these words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a great vacation. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing better than time with sand, and water, and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Time section of your post. It is so reflective. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too love the reference to time that seemed to permeate the entire post: "The blessing of time not scheduled." I am glad that you enjoyed your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you joined when you could and found joy in writing. These celebrations sound delightful and enjoyable. Something to guide you as you return and finish out the school year.

    ReplyDelete