Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading - July 16

 I had a very fun, busy week so I didn't read as much as last time, but what I did read, I really liked.

After the #titletalk in April or May, where the conversation focused on graphic novels, that has been a real goal for me.  I read 4 books in this genre, and all of them will be perfect additions to our classroom library.
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers -- I read both The Evil Penguin Plan and The Fishy Business.  So fun! This book and the second in the series, The Fishy Business, just make me chuckle. A great addition to the graphic novel section of our library. 
  • Babymouse for President -- How is this book not perfect for an election year?!! Babymouse is back with all her silliness; such fun!!  Every time I read a Babymouse book, it cracks me up when she thinks/dreams in pink.  
  • Wild Pitch - I have heard many great things about this graphic novel series from Sports Illustrated Kids. Cannot wait to add more of these to my collection! Will want to talk to students about how to read it though, because important information starts on the inside cover and continues all the way to the back cover. Sports fans will be sure to enjoy these series!
I also found two wonderful books that are poetry, word fun, and sometimes both:
  • Wumbers - -  Kids will have a great time with this book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. The entire book is just word fun galore, with Rosenthal spelling words that have numbers in the place of certain syllables (It's words cre8ed with numbers!). I think it would be a great way to stretch vocabulary and play with words for students. 
  • Edgar Allan Poe's Pie -- I found this book recently at our local bookstore, and had to have it. I am a huge fan of the prolific J. Patrick Lewis. This book of poetry is unique for 2 reasons: 1) each poem is inspired by an already existing poem written by some great poets (not sure kids will get all the references, but I had a great time connecting the originals I knew with what J. Patrick Lewis wrote), and 2) each poem is a math riddle. I plan on buying a second copy of this book to give to my teaching partner as a back to school gift.  It would be great fun to use these poems in some way during her math times with our students. 
And I finished one YA novel, Crossed, by Allie Condie.  I like Matched (the first in the trilogy) better because in Crossed there was one character who made a brief appearance and then is only referred to after that -- I feel like he is a major player and we needed more of him (plus I really like his character). I will definitely be reading the 3rd in this trilogy to see how Condie wraps up things.

Please join Kellee and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts, who are the cohosts of this wonderful Monday event!  I love finding out what others are reading, and start planning my next week's reading using some of the participants ideas.  

5 comments:

  1. Some great books on your list! I loved Crossed but am really looking forward to the third book. Can't wait to see how she wraps up the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Edgar Allen Poe book sounds like a must have - what a great idea for a collection of poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Crossed, too. It just seems like there are never enough hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Wumbers! It's a bit too old for my daughter, but I cannot wait to share it with her once she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't gotten to Crossed yet, but I have it on my summer pile. I am getting worried that summer is going by too quickly though!!!

    I've been wanting to read some of the Sports Illustrated graphic novels- I'm glad that it was good.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete