Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Picks From THE PIT!


















I haven't shared what I've been reading in THE PIT recently, so here goes. By the way, check out the new PIT picture. My aid, Yvonne, found these big rub on letters so it's official, WELCOME TO THE PIT!




As Good As Anybody: In January we celebrated Martin Luther King Day with this beautiful book. I really liked it because it told a story of Dr. King that wasn't familiar to me. Richard Micholson's words and Raul Colon's illustrations combine to tell of the friendship between Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rabi Abraham Joshua Heschel. ALL of the kids got the common experiences of these two men and how they brought them together.




The House in the Night: I wasn't crazy about this one, and after about 20 or so readings, I still can't say I love it, but it did win the Caldecott and so I shared it. Some of the kids really liked the soothing words and pictures, others, like me, still don't get it.






Are You Ready to Play Outside? Mo Willems did again. I love the Elephant and Piggie series, and so do the kids. It didn't hurt that this won the Geisel Award this year. I never get tired of these two characters, and the kids laughed out loud. I may pull these books together this spring for a little reader's theater. Could be fun!





Chicken Cheeks: My friend Franki at A Year of Reading showed this to me on a recent trip to Cover to Cover. She thought it was "my kind of book" and guess what!? She was EXACTLY right! You have to love a book with things like Penguin Patooties, Kangaroo Keisters, and Hound Dog Heinies in it! We all laughed at the words and the hilarious pictures. It's ornery, and I like it! Go HERE for a funny video of author Michael Ian Black reading his book wearing a chicken suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment