Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dublin Literacy Conference

This past Saturday was the 20th Dublin Literacy Conference here in Dublin, Ohio. I am not one of the committee members who tirelessly plan and organize this wonderful conference every year, but I am one of the people who love to attend for all the fabulous thinking I know I will hear. Last year, Bill and I did a presentation on new book titles that we loved from 2007 - 08. This year, we were scheduled to present again, but due to a medical illness on my part, Bill presented on his own (sorry, partner!).

Even though I knew I couldn't prepare for a presentation, one of my all-time favorite authors was going to be at the Conference. That's right -- the one and only Barbara O'Connor was here! My friends on the committee helped arrange it so I could come and meet Barbara during her lunchtime. Bonus for me was that Grace Lin sat with us, as well. Pinch me -- I must be dreaming!! Mary Lee, from A Year of Reading, was with us as well.

What a delightful lunch conversation we had! For anyone that follows Barbara's blog, or reads her books, she is just as lovely in person as she is in writing. I felt like I had met someone who was a long, lost friend. We had so much in common, especially how we both need to "recharge our batteries" with quiet, and how much we both love our screened porches.

So that's all I have about the Dublin Literacy Conference -- I finally met Barbara O'Connor and loved her, and I got to meet Grace Lin, also. For more deep thinking about the conference, check out what Franki, Mary Lee, Kristine, or Katie had to say.

For just some fun pictures, take a look at Bill and me with the lovely Barbara O'Connor. In addition, some of the Central Ohio bloggers were found at the same place at the same time -- another picture!
(from L to R: Megan from Read Read Read, Mary Lee from A Year of Reading, me, Franki from A Year of Reading, Bill, and Kristine from BestBook I Have Not Read)

2 comments:

  1. Meeting you was one of the highlights for me, Karen! I felt like I was reconnecting with a dear friend. Didn't it just feel like we'd known each other forever?

    Maybe some day we'll sit on a screened porch together.

    Thank you for taking the time to come by.

    xoxoxox
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete