Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Reflections on a Friday

Well, to be totally accurate, it is already Saturday, but since I'm still up on a Friday, I think it's still legitimate.

1) Several of my friends are at the NCTE convention this weekend. I've always had an excuse for why it just wouldn't work for me to go -- money, time, other commitments -- but, with a little nudge from a friend, I will be headed to next year's convention in Philadelphia. I hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend this year; I can't wait to be part of the fun next year!!

2) I know Bill blogged about Twelve Terrible Things by Marty Kelley, but I just have to reiterate that it is laugh out loud funny!! And once you read it for the funny part and get some of your laughter and silliness out, it would be a wonderful tool to have in writing workshop as a reread when you talk about point of view. Great find!!! (And I'm not sure which was more fun -- reading the book, or watching Bill crack up each time he watched one of us read the book for the first time!!)

3) My class and 3 other 5th grade classes from our school participated in JA BizTown this week. It is set up by Junior Achievement, and basically, the students run businesses for an entire day. They take out loans, gather supplies for their business, sell goods or services, get 2 paychecks a day, make deposits at the bank, open up a savings account at the bank, pay their utilities for their businesses, and that's just to name a few! After my teammates and I did some reconstructing of lessons to make sure all our state indicators for economics would be covered, we ended up having a fabulous day. When we processed with the students after getting back to school, it was amazing at how much they had learned about a city's economy. What wonderful lessons to have for them, especially in these troubled times.

4) Our first trimester just ended, so I've been busily grading papers and filling out progress reports. I will be going into school for a couple of hours on Saturday to finish up, and then I'll have things completed. We're going for an early Thanksgiving dinner to my parents on Sunday; I will be totally relaxed and ready to have some of my father's oyster stuffing because my progress reports will be done, printed, and stuffed!!

5) And speaking of Thanksgiving, I'd just like to give a shout out of thanks to all of you who stop by to read what's on Bill and my minds when it comes to our teaching or children's books or even our Friday ramblings. We're not even a year old yet, but we're so grateful for the connections we've made with people because of our blog. Thanks so much for stopping in. We hope you'll continue to stop by!

6) Finally, I'd just like to end tonight with this:

We hope you have a safe, relaxing, and wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to both of you! It's always a pleasure to stop by and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Karen's sentiments at the end of her Friday reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am only going to NCTE for Monday. I want to hear Lucy present again so I fly out tomorrow to hear her on Monday. I am glad to be home for the weekend, but I do wish I was there for more of it! www.debrennersmith.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ARE having a great time at NCTE and wish you were here! Next year it is:-)

    ReplyDelete