Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Beware of the Frog in the Pit!

Here's a quick PICK FROM THE PIT entry in this season of going back to school hustle and bustle. William Bee's Beware of the Frog is an incredibly simple yet incredibly fun book. I found myself laughing out loud, especially at the surprising end, which will not be revealed here. You'll have to read the book to find out.

Mrs. Collywobbles lives alone in the wood where her house is protected by a frog, yes, a frog. Three humorously scary villains, Greedy Goblin, Smelly Troll, and Giant Hungry Ogre pay her a visit. Of course, none of them are afraid of her small green security system, and all three pay the price as shown by their limbs hanging from the frog's mouth. As I mentioned before, this simple story comes to a very surprising end, I loved it, and I can't wait to share it in THE PIT with the kids, big surprising fun awaits!

The illustrations are colorful and fun to look at and make the story really work, the final illustration which shows the surprise, did I mention there's a surprise ending? will surely get a laugh in THE PIT!

Here's another review at Menasha Kids.

1 comment: