Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

#OLW - 2014


I have been thinking a great deal about the One Little Word that could help guide my life for 2014.  I recently read a blog post from Clare that talked about "grit" - what a great word that would be.  Recently Julie blogged about the gift of "time."  Last year, my friend Katherine, chose "be." This year, she chose "balance" - that is a word that I need every year.  Another fabulous word to remind her to stay in the moment.  All great words, and any one of them would work for me.  But I really wanted to choose something unique to where my life is right now.

Last year my word was "joy," but 2013 was a very difficult year for our family, so I found it hard to get to that word as frequently as I would like.  The first few months of 2014 will be a bit rocky as well - my mom will have two hip surgeries within a 3 month span (she already had one) with all the rehab that accompanies such a surgery, and my dad is scheduled to have a complicated back surgery the first full week of January.

I need to choose a word that will guide my life this year, but will also help me navigate the all-too-real issues I will face in the upcoming months.  My hope is that the word "kind" will accomplish all of that.

Kind - to both of my parents as they recover from their respective surgeries, and begin the understandable cranky attitudes that come with convalescing.

Kind - to my classes.  This task is made much easier by my present classes because they are so amazing already.  Our school motto this year is "Choose Kind;" having that read each day on announcements and posted throughout the school will serve as great reminders.

Kind - to my colleagues.  Teachers are under a great deal of pressure right now; I see it daily with staff in our building, and if I can help alleviate even a bit of that pressure with a small kindness, that would be wonderful.

Kind - to my family and friends.  Why is it that our families, especially, tend to get the "leftovers" of our energy and attention?  I want to be a kinder person to the people whom I love so dearly.

Kind - to myself.  Without this piece, I don't think any of the others work.  I need to be kind to myself, making sure I eat properly, get regular exercise, sleep well, and make time to do the things I enjoy.  If I am not kind to myself, it will be much more difficult to achieve the kindness to others.

So 2014 will be the year of "kind" for me.  Hopefully, I will become one of a kind! :)

Wishing you all a very happy (and belated) New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I love this thinking. You definitely need to be sure to be kind to yourself. When we are under stress, being kind to ourselves often gets set aside. I will be thinking of you and your parents and saying lots of prayers for healthy recoveries. Good luck these first few months of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your word, Karen. Being kind to yourself is always the hardest. I wish you a fabulous year. Can't wait to see you in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful word to use for this year, Karen. Knowing that those four letters are with you every step will be a good support. I enjoyed hearing your thinking, and best wishes to you with both parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to choose a word this year for the first time. It is one with multiple meanings, like yours. I'm living with it for a few days before I announce. I think I'm going to like it.

    Best wishes for a tricky new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    I'm thinking you are always kind. I do love your word. Wouldn't the world be a much better place if we thought like that.

    I'm hoping you'll think mostly about the last one --- which is by far going to be the hardest. Take time to be kind to you, my friend.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete