I laughed out loud when I read Cathy's #nerdlution post. I laughed for 2 reasons:
- She was doing exactly what I was -- tying to ignore the enticing peer pressure of our smart friends.
- I have been led to push myself and my thinking more times than I can count by ideas Cathy has concocted. :)
But I think Franki, Colby, Katherine, Bill, Chris L, Kristine, and all the others who were in on the #nerdlution thread on Twitter are on to something. I look at December and I think of all the ways my time will be challenged --
- preparing for the holidays as I write Christmas cards, bake, shop, and wrap
- helping my parents through some very difficult medical times, including surgery for both of them,
- gatherings of friends and family (even though these consume time, they all are blessings)
What I realize is that starting with Thanksgiving and moving through New Year, I mostly spend time taking care of those I love, and often times, neglect myself. So that's why I'm joining #nerdlution -- by participating and having the energy and support of those other participants, I stand a better chance of making sure I take care of myself as well.
So my 2 #nerdlutions:
First, I plan to take care of my physical self each day -- whether that is walking, yoga, water aerobics, getting my hair done, a pedicure, meditating, or simply "legs up the wall" -- a great de-stressor!
Second, I want to take care of my mental self -- I have not been reading as much lately and I know heading into the holidays that might be one of the first things to go when life gets hectic. I plan to read for at least 45 minutes each day.
It's a small start in gaining some balance in my life. I know I am a much better person when I am mentally and physically in shape. Thanks to all of you for supporting me with these two #nerdlutions !!