Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Remember Me?

It's been a REALLY long time since I last posted, many of you, including my partner Karen probably thought I forgot how to do this.  Wish I had a good excuse, but I don't, just wasn't inspired to write anything.  Now that school is done for another year I thought maybe I should post something.  I've been thinking about what I've read aloud in THE PIT this year and what some of my favorites were.


Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin and James Dean:  The latest Pete the Cat adventure has some math and simple subtraction.  The kids were all bopping around school singing about their belly buttons for about a week after this one.  I even gave the kindergartners homework to go home and sing about their belly button to anyone who would listen.  As usual, Pete provided a lot of fun!

Me Want Pet! by Tammi Sauer Illustrated by Bob Shea:  The cave boy in this book provided plenty of opportunity for some SERIOUS grunting in THE PIT.  The simple story has him trying several different pets like a woolly mammoth and saber tooth tiger before finding the perfect baby dodo bird.  Bob Shea's pictures as always are fun and good for some laughs.  The kids naturally compared it to Me Hungry by Jeremy Tankard.


Randy Riley's Really Big Hit by Chris Van Dusen:  I always like to do a baseball book in the spring, and finding one by Chris Van Dusen was a real bonus.  Randy isn't much of a player, but he is crazy smart.  When Earth is threatened by a huge fire ball he stays calm and has the hit of his life!  The kids of Bailey really love Chris Van Dusen and his fun rhyming books like King Hugo's Huge Ego and the Circus Ship.  When they found out he's the illustrator of the Mercy Watson books, they liked the books even more.  His bright retro illustrations always entertain and make his books great additions to THE PIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment