Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? - May 21

Life has been hectic lately with all those end of school year things to wrap up, but I managed to make some time this weekend to finish a few books.

First of all, I read Meet You at Harry's.  All I can say is wow!  This is a story that tackles several tough subjects: the death of a family member, how the rest of the family deals with that loss, the difficulties of being gay in middle school, feeling like the invisible member of a family, and how relationships between good friends (boy and girl) can change once you get to middle school.  The only thing I regret about reading this book was not listening to the friends who told me I would need a box of Kleenex.

Then, I went for something entirely different, and read the latest book in the Big Nate series, Big Nate Goes For Broke.  One of my students is a huge fan of Big Nate, and when he bought it at our recent book fair, and read it in one day, I knew I had to read it as well. What a fun, fun book! And I loved the emphasis put on both creativity and teamwork. A great addition to our classroom library in our Big Nate tub!

Finally, I read a little adult action adventure when I reread The Devil's Punchbowl.  I love this author, Greg Iles, and the main character of this series, Penn Cage.  The settings are always in Natchez, Mississippi, and it's interesting to get a look into the life of a small southern town.  It's made all that more interesting because Greg Iles lives in Natchez himself.  The book is a definite page-turner!




Please join Kellee and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts, who are the cohosts of this wonderful Monday event!  I love finding out what others are reading, and start planning my next week's reading using some of the participants ideas.  

5 comments:

  1. Well, via twitter, I already know about your read of See You At Harry's. When things like that are shown on the news, I think about the family, & wonder how they manage. Now I have a little more info because of the book. I haven't read the Big Nate books-perhaps I'll try one, Karen. My son's name is Nathan & we always liked those early readers a long while ago when he was young. And the adult book does sound fun. I will at least put it on my list. Time for some relaxing summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda - full disclosure about that last book, if you're looking for fun, this might not be the book for you. Deals with dog-fighting and some other very difficult subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been fhearing good things about See You at Harry's. It's definitely on my TBR list. Here's my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-Zj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks about ALL the book. Although they get serious, I still think a good thriller is fun. That's what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to see someone else is reading See You At Harry's!!!! This book is getting some great love and it deserves it. Such a great story, hard to read, but so worthwhile and well-written. :)

    ReplyDelete