Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Return of PICKS FROM THE PIT



I haven't done this in a LONG time but I recently shared to books in THE PIT that would fit my list of books I never get tired of reading.

Fandango Stew by David Davis; Illustrated by Ben Galbraith: It's a retelling of Stone Soup only set in a wild west town. The main cowboy characters Slim and his grandson Luis ride into the town of Skinflint without a peso between them. When they are collared by the local sheriff, they offer to whip up a batch of fandango stew by using a pot of boiling water and on little ol' fandango bean. Of course the good folk of Skinflint are talked out of salt, pepper, a purple onion, and lots of vegetables...including the okra!

GASP! NOT THE OKRA! YUP, THE OKRA!

With each ingredient the group of harmonizers grows until it reaches 47 part harmony. Is that possible?

I love the Tex Mex lingo and the colorful pictures, but probably my favorite part is the little ditty that is sung over and over and makes for some awesome audience participation.

CHILI'S GOOD
SO IS BARBECUE,
BUT NOTHIN'S FINER THAN,
FANDANGO STEW!

We sang it LOUD for all to hear in THE PIT and was a bunch of rip roarin' rootin' tootin' fun!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kind words for "Fandango Stew"! When I wrote it, I hoped that children would enjoy the refrain. Your description of the kids hearing it in "The Pit" made my day!
    Best Wishes, David Davis

    ReplyDelete