It's funny what a difference a year makes in this whole book awards game. Last year at this time pretty much everybody was in love with When You Reach Me for the Newbery and The Lion and the Mouse for the Caldecott. After looking over a few of the blogs recently it's pretty clear that nothing is very clear! The predictions are all over the place. With that being said, today is the day we take our shot and name our picks for the Newbery.
Since I don't have any idea what the winner will be and really don't have a strong feeling for a book this year, I'm going to follow Franki's example and list books that I would love to win something this year. I'm really just hoping I've read the winner and it doesn't come totally out of left field.
Countdown by Deborah Wiles
Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm
A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord
Chalk by Bill Thomson
City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems Illustrated by Jon J. Muth
Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen Illustrated by Kevin Waldron
A Pirate's Guide to First Grade by James Preller Illustrated by Greg Ruth
Here Comes the Garbage Barge by Jonah Winter Illustrated by Red Nose Studios
Boss Baby by Marla Frazee
Karen's Picks -
Much like Bill, I have no idea what will win this year. There are many outstanding books that I have read this past year, and even these past two weeks. But I still truly have no idea which one will win the Newbery or be one of the Honor books.
That being said, there are several books that have truly spoken to me for a variety of reasons. Those are the books that will be my picks today (in no particular order).
- The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter
- Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord (a huge crowd favorite at our GREat Discussion - a parent/child book group)
- The Dark Emperor by Joyce Sidman (not my idea of a typical Newbery winner, but it has a stunning text)
- Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (current read aloud for our class)
- The Red Umbrella by Christina Diaz Gonzalez
- A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
- Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes (literally just finished this one!)
- Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm
We have had a fun two weeks reading books, reviewing them, and writing our Looking for Newbery series. Thanks so much for joining us for the fun!