Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Poetry Friday Guyku


I spotted this one on the new book shelf and at first didn't really get the title. Then when I took it home and read it, I totally got the title! Guyku by Bob Raczka is a set of haiku written about things that guys like to do, divided by seasons. It's illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds and will be loads of fun for the boys in my library. Here are some examples.

SPRING

With baseball cards and
clothespins, we make our bikes sound
like motorcycles.

SUMMER

Skip, skip, skip, skip, plunk!
Five ripple rings in a row-
my best throw ever!

FALL

Hey, who turned off all
the crickets? I'm not ready
for summer to end.

WINTER

How many million
flakes will it take to make a
snow day tomorrow?

What great examples of haiku that boys will completely relate to and hopefully it will encourage them to try some of their own.

Poetry Friday at The Writer's Armchair

3 comments:

  1. Looks good -- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to challenge my girls to write "Galku" !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this--and especially the way it is seasonal, an aspect so many humorous or modern haiku totally ignore. Can't wait to read this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete