Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

I Can't Wait!

It's that time of year when all of the teachers in the Kidlitosphere are telling their back to school stories. I love reading all of them, but it's probably the one time of the school year when I miss being in the regular classroom. In our district the librarians get the first four days of school without kids to get new books cataloged, labeled and ready for the shelves, enter the students into the system for check outs and prepare the libraries for use by weeding and other reorganization of titles. It's time we all need and use every minute of, but it's tough when I see kids in the hall and I have very little opportunity to interact with them. Many of them have stopped in to see me and pick up their reward for finishing the summer reading program at the public library, but it's been limited and not very satisfying at all. The library looks great thanks to my incredible aid Yvonne's hard work over the last four days, but it's time, THE LIBRARY NEEDS KIDS TO BRING IT TO LIFE! I can't wait for Monday when they will come and we will share new books and summer adventures.

Last year the Kid Lit Bloggers got together out west for a conference which I really wish I could have attended. However, timing, distance and busy schedules didn't allow for that to happen. Such was the case with many of the Central Ohio Kid Lit Bloggers so we had a mini conference with breakfast (granola) and shopping at Cover to Cover. A good time was had by all, but many of us wished we could have been part of the national group. Imagine my excitement when I learned that the KidLitosphere Conference was going to be held in Washington, D.C., a short 7 hour drive. It also falls during a four day weekend for us so I can get out of here on Thursday after school and be there on Friday in time to do a little touring in the morning and then join the group for a tour of the Library of Congress. I'm pretty excited about that, in all of my trips to DC, I've never been to the library. On Saturday I'll spend the day with the group working to improve Literate Lives, meeting authors, and connecting with people that I've been reading for several years. Of the Central Ohio group Mary Lee will also be attending. MotherReader has a post that lists the participants that she will updating in the next week or so. All in all it sounds like and exciting weekend, and I CAN'T WAIT and I really think you should join us!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting you, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAN"T WAIT to hear and see the kids as they enjoy their first library visit. I know they are excited, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too. I am SO excited about getting the chance to meet everyone (or as many everyone's as I can). See you in October!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm psyched that you decided to go!

    ReplyDelete